Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Portuguese Woman Discovers Islam
By Khadija Margarid, 27 December 2005

Key Extracts:

January 2004:
I decided to buy and start reading the Qur'an to know what Muslims think about God. The idea of God had been hovering above my spirit more clearly for four years now. Surely I know there's a God, Who created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them.

Walking through the cities of Egypt I saw Muslims praying on the streets when it was prayer time, no matter what, and I thought "what humbleness, and what faith these people have." I had never in my life knelt before someone and even less did I put my forehead on the ground to thank someone for anything or to ask anything of someone. God revealed Himself to me to be the only one worthy of my kneeling, and towards Whom I felt the need of doing so.

And what about Jesus, the questions started sparking uninterruptedly outside and inside myself: Do you worship him? Is he the son of God? Is he God? Define the concept of trinity. Why did Jesus die? How did he resurrect? Who wrote the Bible? Do you believe Muhammad is a prophet of God? My brain started spinning round, because my heart knew what my mind did not. I continued reading the Qur'an until the end.

March 2005:
On the evening of that specific day, from the depths of my being, I repented and asked for forgiveness; I humbly said grace and prayed to be accepted while my voice was trembling with the words "There is none worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah."

Note: Khadija Margarid is a psychologist who is currently studying Arabic in Egypt.

Read the details here.

No comments: